Information and advice to keep you independent

We advise you to complete our Information and advice for you form which will give you a personalised booklet containing the advice and information contained in these webpages based on the areas you identify you want to focus on. 

This personalised information will connect you with support and information in your local community and help you to make the best use of your existing networks.

We will always make sure you have access to information and advice to support your wellbeing before you need formal social care services.  This is a universal offer to all, whether you pay for your care and support yourself, or are state-funded.

Information and advice for you

Here is some information you may find useful to stay healthy, active and safe:

Keeping active

By keeping active and avoiding falls, you are less likely to need social care or health support.

Staying connected

Details of groups, activities and things to do in the community are listed on the Notts Help Yourself You can refine your search by area, age group or interest.

Our Connect service can provide short term support to people who are feeling lonely or struggling with daily life.

Getting out and about

If you find it difficult to travel, there are a range of options to help you including independent travel trainingcommunity transport schemes and accessible taxis. You can also find out if you are eligible for the Blue Badge scheme to help you park closer to your destination.

Mental health

There is a variety of support and advice to help you maintain good mental health and wellbeing.

You can also get information about support to help you live independently with Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.

Staying safe and well

There is a range of simple equipment you can buy that could help you with simple tasks around the home.

Our Handy Person Adaptations Service provides help and support to keep people safe and secure in their home.

Cold homes can have an impact on your wellbeing. Find out more about keeping warm in winter.

Our Meals at Home service supplies fresh and nutritious ready-made meals direct to your home to help you stay living independently.


AskSARA can help you to find information about products and equipment that make daily living easier.  By answering some questions about yourself and your environment, you will receive a free personalised report providing clear, tailored advice on products and equipment to help with your daily living activities.

Money matters

It is a good idea to get financial advice and support from an expert if you are planning for social care in the future or making decisions about paying for care now.

Most people will have to contribute something towards the cost of their adult social care and support.

You can use our Care Contribution Calculator to give you an indication of the contribution you may be asked to make.

Find out more about what benefits you are entitled to.

Work opportunities

If you have a learning disability or Asperger’s, you can get employment support which includes training and matching to a suitable employer.

Sensory impairments

Our Adult Deaf and Visual Impairment Service can provide advice and support to help you live independently.

Additional needs

Hopefully our Information and advice for you form provides you with what you need to carry on living independently but if you need more help and professional advice, we will move to the next step with you.

If you are a carer, find out what advice, information and support is available.

Information and advice for you

Share this page?