Financial advice and support

It is a good idea to get financial information and advice from an expert if you are making decisions about paying for care now or in the future.

When do I need independent financial advice?

There will be times when you need to get financial advice which is impartial and independent of the Council, to help you make the right decisions about paying for care. For example:

  • if there are a number of options available, and we are not allowed to recommend one
  • when there is potential conflict between your interests and ours
  • when you are about to enter a legal agreement, such as a deferred payment agreement, but we cannot advise whether you should enter into it or not
  • where you want advice on specific financial products to get the most out of your assets. 

Where can I get independent financial advice?

You can get independent financial advice from a number of sources.

Our Nottinghamshire Help Yourself website lists information about a number of advisers and organisations that offer financial advice. 

Other organisations you might find helpful are:

There are also independent financial advisers (IFAs) who can give you advice on financial matters and recommend suitable financial products. You may need to pay for their advice. 

For more information read our self-funder's guide.

Alternatively you can phone us on 0300 500 80 80 where our advisers can guide you through the options.

Further help

If you don't have any family or friends to help you, and you think getting or understanding independent financial advice may be difficult we may be able to provide you with a free independent advocate

The advocate can act on your behalf to ensure you get the most out of any independent financial advice you receive. 

Share this page?