Paying for care and support

Most people have to pay something towards the cost of their care and support.

There are some exceptions, including if:

  • you are receiving care services provided under section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1988
  • you have Creuzfeldt Jacob Disease
  • all of your needs are met through funding from the NHS

How does it work?

A financial assessment will be completed to calculate how much you have to pay for care and support. Most people have to contribute something towards the cost of their care.

We will need to know how much money you have coming in from any pensions and benefits you receive, as well as details of any capital assets you may have, such as savings, investments and property or land you own. 

You can complete the form yourself or with a family or friend, or we can arrange to visit you and complete it together. 

When your financial assessment has been completed, you will be told how much you need to pay towards the cost of the care services you receive. 

Some people will not receive any financial support and have to pay the full cost of care themselves. They are known as self-funders. 

For further information about funding your own care, read our self-funder's guide and our factsheets:

How much will I have to pay?

If you have savings or investments over £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your care services.

If you have less than £23,250 of savings or investments you may still have to pay a contribution towards the cost.

You can use our Care Contribution Calculator to give you an indication of the contribution you may be asked to make.

We strongly recommend that you seek independent financial advice when you are making decisions about paying for care.

Read our self-funder's guide to care and support

Share this page?