Adapting your home
Handy person adaptation service
The Handy Person Adaptation Service provides help and support to keep you safe and independent in your home with free or low-cost, but high-quality, essential adaptations and small practical jobs.
This service is available to people living in Nottinghamshire (except the City of Nottingham) who are either:
- aged 60 or over
Adaptations can be fitted at your property to help you move around your home safely. This service offers the following adaptations:
- An additional internal stair rail
- Internal grab rails
- External grab rails
These are supplied and fitted in a single job and are free of charge.
We will discuss your needs with you and if you require more adaptations than this, we will complete a care and support assessment instead.
Handy person jobs
Handy person jobs are small jobs such as fixing curtain rails to improve home heating, fixing loose carpets to remove trip hazards or fitting a key safe to enable access for family or carers who visit you.
The cost of a handy person job is £15. Payments need to be made in cash and should be given to the trader after the work is completed.
You will also need to supply all the materials for the job. But if you have difficulty getting what’s needed, you may be able to give the money to the trader so they can buy the materials for you.
How to access the service
Professionals: Health and Social Care professionals can refer online using the HPAS professional referral form
Members of the public: If you’d like to refer yourself or a friend or relative, please contact us
How long does it take to get the work done?
Jobs are usually completed within 5 working days.
The work is carried out by professional traders from our approved trader register regulated by Trading Standards.
Is there a limit to what I can have done?
Yes, there are a few restrictions:
- This service can only be used once in any three-month period unless you need extra adaptations
- If you rent from a council or housing association, they may be responsible for fitting any adaptations you need. Check with your housing provider first to see if this is a service that they offer
- If you rent from a private landlord, you need to have permission from them before we begin any adaptations
- The handy person service does not extend to gardening, decorating or any job that requires a specialist trader, such as an electrician, plumber or gas fitter
- Handyperson jobs are limited to four hours of work.
Do you live in Nottingham City?
Nottingham City residents should request this service from Nottingham City Council
Find out more
To discuss your needs and access this service, contact the customer service team
If you are not eligible for this service or it doesn’t meet your needs, you can arrange work through these other services listed below:
- use our approved trader scheme if you are planning to pay for the work yourself, make sure you agree on a price beforehand. Our trading standards page can offer advice if you have any disputes.
- through our occupational therapy service - you need to have a care and support assessment and be eligible for care.
- if you are a disabled person who needs help to live independently, you might be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help fund the adaptations to your home. For more information see our Disabled Facilities Grant factsheet.
- if you are currently in hospital and need certain adaptations in place before being discharged, the hospital can make a referral on your behalf to get the work done within 2 working days. Read more about going into hospital.