Adapting your home
Handy person adaptation service
The Handy Person Adaptation Service provides help and support to keep people safe and secure in their home with free or low-cost but high quality essential adaptations and small practical jobs.
This service is available to people living in Nottinghamshire (except the City of Nottingham) who are either:
- aged 60 or over
Adaptations are jobs such as fitting stair rails and grab rails which help you move around your home and stay steady on your feet.
These are supplied and fitted in a single job and are free of charge.
Handy person jobs
Handy person jobs are small jobs such as fixing curtain rails, putting up shelves or fixing loose carpets or trip hazards.
The cost of a handy person job is £15 which should be given to the trader.
You will also need to supply all the materials for the job. But if you have difficulty getting what’s needed, you may be able to give the money to the trader so they can buy the materials for you.
These prices are subject to change, so please check when requesting a job to confirm the price.
How long does it take to get the work done?
Jobs inside the house are usually completed within 5 working days.
If you have been discharged from hospital the job will be completed within 2 working days.
The work is carried out by professional traders from our approved trader register regulated by Trading Standards.
Find out more
You can contact us and tell us about your needs by:
- telephone: 0300 500 80 80.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you cannot access this scheme, you can also get work completed in one of the ways listed below:
- use our approved trader scheme if you are planning to pay for the work yourself, make sure you agree a price beforehand. Our trading standards page can offer advice if you have any disputes.
- through our occupational therapy service - you need to have a care and support assessment and be eligible for care.
- if you are a disabled person who needs help to live independently, you might be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help fund the adaptations to your home. For more information see our Disabled Facilities Grant factsheet.