Blue Badge scheme

The aim of the Blue Badge scheme is to help people with severe mobility problems caused by visible and non-visible ('hidden') disabilities to park close to their destination.

Covid-19 update

We are currently operating as standard in relation to Blue Badge applications and where information can be supplied your application will be assessed and processed in accordance with current service level agreements. However, we fully understand that given the current situation with Covid-19, it may not be possible for applicants and/or their representatives to get copies of documents required for an application. We would like to assure you we will try our very best to obtain the required information from records we hold about you.
We would like to assure you that we understand you may face extra challenges in completing an application and therefore the application will remain open for you to supply information when you can. If you cannot provide what is requested, we ask that you please let us know so we can appropriately mark your application for the future.

Blue badge eligibility

Applications are now being considered under the new government criteria including hidden disabilities.                                      

We are unable to make comment on medical conditions and/or individual circumstances. 

You will automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if you:

  • receive the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA)
  • receive eight points or more under the 'Moving Around' descriptor of the mobility component of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or score 10 points under Activity 11, descriptor E in the 'planning and following a journey' part of the mobility component, which states 'you cannot undertake any journeys because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress'.
  • are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
  • receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
  • have been awarded a lump sum benefit at tariff 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.

You may be eligible for a badge if you:

  • have an enduring and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress; in this case you may be asked to have an independent mobility assessment
  • drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and have considerable difficulty in operating all, or some, types of parking meter
  • are aged under three years and have to be accompanied everywhere by bulky medical equipment
  • are at risk of serious harm, or pose a risk of serious harm to any other person, when walking
  • are an organisation caring for disabled people meeting the eligibility criteria. This is entirely at our discretion.


Share this page?