Support for carers
Am I a carer?
You are a carer if you provide unpaid support to a family member, neighbour or friend. They could need support because they are ill, frail, disabled or have a mental health or substance misuse problem.
The support you provide could be:
- washing and dressing
- shopping and food preparation
- helping with laundry or housework
- keeping someone company
- helping someone take medication
- emotional support or help managing difficult behaviour
- keeping an 'eye' on someone to make sure they are safe.
You are still a carer if you:
- don't live with the person you care for
- are not the only person providing care to someone
- are caring for more than one person
- are not related to the person you care for.
Find out about our offer for carers in our Carers Strategy
How can I look after myself?
- Try to stay healthy
- Eat healthily
- Get enough rest
- Do regular physical activity
- Look after your general health and wellbeing
- Share your feelings with someone you trust
- Learn a relaxation technique
- Take a break
- Make time for yourself
- Try to be organised
- Be realistic about what you can do
- Make sure you have all the information you need
- Information about medical treatment:
- The person I am caring for wants me to know about their treatment
- The person I am caring for is too unwell to make decisions, or may be too unwell to make them in the future
- The person I am caring for does not want me to know about their treatment
- Find positives in your relationship
- Support the independence of the person you care for
- Make a crisis plan
Support for carers
There is a variety of support available to help carers including:
Nottinghamshire Carers Hub - this provides a range of support and services for carers. If you contact the helpdesk on 0115 824 8824 you can speak to an experienced support worker who will provide a personalised service that meets your individual need. You can also email email@example.com.
Nottinghamshire Help Yourself - you can find out about support available in your community by using Nottinghamshire Help Yourself, which gives information about local organisations that provide a range of services.
Dementia Carer Net - if you are looking for advice, support or information about caring for someone with dementia.
Carers UK - find out more about self-help and tips for reducing stress:
Read the Mind booklet 'How to cope as a carer' [PDF].
Help and support
Tell us about your situation and we can give you the advice, support or services that you need.