Planning process for shale gas development
Extracting gas from underground using fracking techniques is very tightly regulated in the UK.
Developers require planning permission from Nottinghamshire County Council at every stage of the process – exploration, appraisal and extraction. An approval of planning permission at one stage is no guarantee that permission will be forthcoming for an application relating to a subsequent stage.
Additional permits and licenses are also required from Government departments and national bodies like the Health and Safety Executive and the Environment Agency.
This section explains how the planning process works in more detail.
- Developing a site: when planning permission is required
- Production/ extraction
- Licences required before fracking can be undertaken
- Licensing organisations
- The Minerals Planning Authority - Nottinghamshire County Council
- Environment Agency (EA)
- Health and Safety Executives (HSE)
- The Environmental Impact Assessment