Planning process for shale gas development

Licensing organisations

The Oil and Gas Authority (OGA) issue Petroleum Exploration and Development Licences (PEDL). 

These give the licence holder permission to drill under the licence area once other permissions and approvals are in place. The OGA assesses the risk of seismic activity caused by drilling, such as the risk of an earth tremor. They also grant consent for flares or vents - a safety device to burn off excess gases which cannot be used.

In Nottinghamshire, large parts of the north of the county and an area in the far south of the county have Petroleum Exploration and Development Licences (PEDL) issued to a number of different companies. The areas of the county covered by PEDL can be seen on the map below.

Share this page?