Planning process for shale gas development
The exploratory phase seeks to acquire data to establish whether hydrocarbons are present. It may involve seismic surveys, exploratory drilling and gaining core samples, and in the case of shale gas, potentially hydraulic fracturing.
Exploratory drilling would normally take between 12-25 weeks but this will vary on a site by site basis and on the activity taking place such as coal bed methane or shale gas exploration.
- Developing a site: when planning permission is required
- Production/ extraction
- Licences required before fracking can be undertaken
- Licensing organisations
- The Minerals Planning Authority - Nottinghamshire County Council
- Environment Agency (EA)
- Health and Safety Executives (HSE)
- The Environmental Impact Assessment