Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Local authorities provide details of all the services and provision that are available to families of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).  This is known as the Local Offer. 

The Local Offer aims to bring together helpful and useful information for children and young people with SEND and their families, regardless of the complexity of need.

The majority of the services and provision within the Local Offer will be universally available without the need for any form of assessment or referral.  Where an assessment or referral is required, we have asked providers to make this clear.

Nottinghamshire's Local Offer

Nottinghamshire provides a wide range of support to children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities aged 0-25 and their families. This is achieved by working in partnership with parents, carers, children, schools and other agencies such as health, social care and the voluntary sector.

Additional support

If you think that additional support is required to meet the needs of your child, or if, as a young person, you would like some extra help, please use the Local Offer to identify what is available and who you can contact to access this help and support. 

It is expected that the majority of needs can be met through the Local Offer, without the requirement for a Statutory Assessment or an Education Health and Care (EHC) plan.  When considering any requests for an EHC plan, evidence will be sought as to how the Local Offer has been used to support the child/young person’s needs.  The aim is for information to be located in one, easily located website.  It can be accessed through smart phones and tablets as well as via the internet. 

Staff in Nottinghamshire County Council’s Customer Service Centre will also be able to provide details of the information contained within the Local Offer to those without easy access to the internet. They can be contacted on 0300 500 8080.

Share this page?