Housing with Care

Housing with Care (also called Extra Care Housing) allows people to live as independently as possible with the reassurance of support with personal care when needed.

What is Housing with Care?

Housing with Care is a housing option which allows older people to live as independently as possible with the reassurance of support with personal care on site as needed. Housing with Care is sometimes called ‘Extra Care’ as it describes the care and support available on site 24/7 for people who meet the criteria for an Extra Care service. 

It offers:

  • high quality accommodation
  • access to on-site communal facilities
  • care staff on site 24 hours a day, 7 days week.

Some of our extra care schemes include housing specifically designed for people with dementia which provide specialist care in a community setting.

Who is eligible?

Anybody who meets the housing criteria can apply to live in a Housing with Care scheme but to be eligible for the Extra Care service which is arranged by Nottinghamshire County Council, you will need to:

  • have a care and support assessment and be eligible for social care support
  • be assessed as eligible for some financial support towards the cost of care
  • have an identified need for accommodation that meets your care and support needs now or in the future

What support can I get?

The focus is on supporting independence, promoting reablement and enabling you to remain as active as possible. Care staff can offer support with personal care based on individual need such as:

  • help with washing, dressing and getting to and from the toilet
  • reminders to take medication
  • preparing snacks and heating up meals
  • shopping
  • laundry
  • some domestic tasks.

On site staff are not nurses and cannot change dressings or catheters or give medication.

How much does extra care cost?

There are three parts to the cost of living in a Housing With Care scheme:

  • housing: the cost of buying, renting or shared ownership of your home – payable to the housing provider
  • service charge:  for home maintenance and communal facilities - payable to the housing provider
  • care and support costs - for the Extra Care service - payable to Nottinghamshire County Council

Care and support costs will vary depending on needs. The amount required to contribute to the cost of care will depend on your individual circumstances. We will do a financial assessment to work out exactly how much you can afford to pay, see our paying for care page for more details. 

How can I find out more?

Please call the customer service centre on 0300 500 80 80 to speak to someone about Housing with Care, also referred to as Extra Care housing which describes the service available.

Find out more:

Share this page?