Somewhere to live
We aim to help people to stay living at home safely or in their own communities. See our Care and support in Nottinghamshire page for a range of support available to you and anyone caring for you.
If you have already considered all the support to help you live independently and feel you cannot manage at home, you could also consider extra housing care, supported living, housing related support and shared lives.
You can also find details of respite care, care homes, sheltered housing and other support on our Nottinghamshire Help Yourself website.
The Housing choices scheme also offers support to people who live in Bassetlaw to look at their personal housing needs and your local district council can give you more information about this.
If you are looking for a care home placement, and none of these options are possible for you, contact us by calling 0300 500 80 80.
You will be offered a care and support assessment to find out what are the best options to meet your needs.
Our Housing with Support Strategy [PDF] sets out how we will work with partners to provide specialist housing support for adults aged 18-64 who have a long term illness and/or disability to enable them to live as independently as possible in their own home.
It is a good idea to get financial information and advice from an expert if you are making decisions about paying for care. This may be, for example:
- if there are a number of options available and you would like support to choose one;
- where there is a potential conflict between your interests and ours;
- when you are about to enter a legal agreement, such as a deferred payment agreement; or
- when you want advice on specific financial products to get the most out of your assets.
Providers you might find helpful are listed on the Nottinghamshire Help Yourself website and include:
Money Advice Service
- Tel: 0800 138 7777
- Typetalk: 18001 0300 500 5000
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk
Citizen's Advice Bureau
- Tel: 03444 111 444
- Website: www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
The Society of Later Life Advisers
- Tel: 0333 2020 454
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.societyoflaterlifeadvisers.co.uk
Which? Later Life Care
- Website: www.which.co.uk/later-life-care
- Telephone: 0800 319 6789 or 020 7605 4200
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.independentage.org/
Independent financial advisers (IFAs) can give you advice on financial matters and recommend suitable financial products but you may need to pay for their advice.
Alternatively you can phone us on 0300 500 80 80 where our advisers can guide you through the options.
Choosing a care home
Our Care and Support Services Directory gives the contact details of care homes in Nottinghamshire, along with tips about what to look for when choosing a home.
Quality of care
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspect every care home and assesses the quality of care it provides.
You can see reports for Nottinghamshire care homes on the CQC website.
Dementia Quality Mark
We award the Dementia Quality Mark (DQM) to care homes in Nottinghamshire that have shown that they provide a high standard of care to people with dementia.
They have to meet a range of standards in the following areas:
- positive attitudes
- emotional and physical freedom
- evidence of a dementia specific environment
- day-to-day routines and care delivery
- meaningful occupation and stimulation
- awareness of barriers to person centred care approach
- safeguarding and protection from abuse
- health and wellbeing.
Care homes will receive the enhanced payment for those people who have:
- a formal diagnosis of dementia and
- complex and frequent needs which require enhanced and regular attention from staff with specialist training or high level skills and/ or
- behaviour that places them or other people at risk.
If a care home does not have the DQM people with dementia can still live there if the home can provide the care they need. However, the home will not receive the DQM enhanced payment for that resident.
See our list of care homes in Nottinghamshire with a Dementia Quality Mark [PDF].