Apply for or renew an older person's travel pass

An older person's concessionary travel pass allows you to enjoy free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England:

  • Monday to Friday: 9.30am to 11pm
  • Weekends and public holidays: all day

Find out more about concessionary travel passes and additional benefits they provide.

You can apply for an older person’s travel pass up to four weeks before the date you become eligible.

If you have an older person’s travel pass which was issued by Nottinghamshire County Council, you can renew your pass up to four weeks before your current pass is due to expire.


To check the date you become eligible for an older person's travel pass enter your date of birth into the state pension age calculator on the GOV.UK website.

If you are not yet eligible for an older person's pass, you can apply for a disabled person's pass if you meet the qualifying criteria.

If you live in the Nottingham City area, you must apply for a travel pass from Nottingham City Council.

You will need

To apply for an older person's travel pass, you will need to provide one document from each list (A and B).

To renew an older person's travel pass, you will need to provide one document from list B and your 18 digit travel pass number, which can be found on the front of your current bus pass.

List A (proof of age)

  • Driving licence
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Medical card

List B (proof of address)

  • Utility bill
  • Bank statement
  • Driving licence
  • Pension letter
  • Council Tax bill
  • NHS letter

Proof of address must be dated within the last 3 months, unless you are providing a copy of the current year's Council Tax bill or driving licence.

To apply for an older person's travel pass a photograph will be required. This can be uploaded during the application process, or you can take a photograph during the application if your device has a webcam/camera. To renew a pass, you do not have to provide a new photograph if you are happy with the photo on your current pass.

Please note if your current pass does not show your full first name, you will not be able to renew it online - in this case please email or contact our customer service centre to renew your pass.

Apply or renew now

Alternative ways to do this

If you do not have the required eligibility documents, or to request a paper application form be sent you by post, please contact our customer service centre or email

Share this page?