Apply for or renew a disabled person's travel pass

A disabled person's concessionary travel pass allows you to enjoy free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England:

  • Monday to Friday: 9.30am to 11pm
  • Weekends and public holidays: all day

Find out more about concessionary travel passes and additional benefits they provide.


Both age-related and disabled person's passes offer the holder the same travel entitlement. Regardless of you having a disability, if you meet the qualifying age it is a simpler process to apply for and renew an age-related travel pass.

If you live in the Nottingham City area, you must apply for a travel pass from Nottingham City Council.

To apply for a disabled person's pass, you must have a disability which falls into one or more of the following criteria:

  • registered/eligible for registration as blind or partially sighted
  • registered/eligible for registration as profoundly or severely deaf
  • registered/eligible for registration as a person without speech
  • has a disability/has suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • is without the use of both arms (through loss of limbs) or long-term use of both arms
  • has a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • has been refused a driving licence (or had it withdrawn) on medical grounds under part III, Section 92 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Find out more about eligibility and supporting documentation required for making an application for a disabled person's bus pass.

Please note that as fares are not applicable until the age of five, a pass cannot be issued to anyone under this age.

Companion support

If you are unable to board public transport without assistance and meet at least one of the qualifying criteria below you can apply for a companion to be added to your disabled travel pass:

  • are blind
  • have a severe walking disability
  • have a severe learning disability.

Your companion will receive free off-peak travel on all journeys that start within Nottinghamshire (not including Nottingham City) when travelling with the pass holder. Whilst you as a pass holder are entitled to free off-peak travel anywhere in England your companion is subject to travel costs on journeys started outside of Nottinghamshire.

You will need

To apply for or renew a disabled person's travel pass, you will need to provide one document from each list (A, B and C):

List A (proof of age)

  • Driving licence
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Medical card

List B (proof of address)

  • Utility bill
  • Bank statement
  • Driving licence
  • Council Tax bill
  • NHS letter

Proof of address must be dated within the last 3 months, unless you are providing a copy of the current year's Council Tax bill or driving licence.

List C (Proof of disability)

  • Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI)
  • Medical Professionals letter
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) award letter (confirming that you receive at least 8 points for the ‘moving around’ or ‘communicating verbally’ activities)
  • Disability Living Allowance letter (confirming you receive the high rate mobility component)
  • War Pensioner Mobility Supplement award letter
  • Armed Forces compensation scheme award
  • EHCP – confirming type of disability
  • Letter from DVLA to confirm Driving Licence has been withdrawn/refused on medical grounds

If you are renewing a pass, you will need to provide your existing 18-digit pass number. 

To apply for a disabled person's travel pass a photograph will also be required. This can be uploaded during the application process, or you can take a photograph during the application if your device has a webcam/camera. To renew a pass, you do not have to provide a new photograph if you are happy with the photo on your current pass.

Apply or renew now

Alternative ways to do this

If you do not have the required eligibility documents, or to request a paper application form be sent you by post, please contact our customer service centre or email

Share this page?