During a flood

If life is in danger, call 999. 

Take action and stay safe

  • ensure family and pets are safe and away from flood water and act on your personal flood plan
  • gather essentials and move valuable items above expected water levels
  • check on vulnerable neighbours or relatives
  • follow any instructions given by the emergency services. You may be asked to evacuate your property at short notice, so ensure you have an emergency kit of essential items ready
  • prepare your property with any flood protection measures and turn off water, gas and electricity before water enters your property
  • ensure important documents are safe, including your home insurance details
  • avoid driving or walking through flood water, there may be hidden dangers. Read our advice to motorists and pedestrians
  • move vehicles to higher ground
  • flood water is likely to be contaminated, wash your hands and follow good hygiene principles
  • contact insurers if your home and possessions have been damaged and for rented properties, contact the property owner. Find out what to expect from your insurer
  • for information about getting and using sandbags see preparing for a flood.

For further information see the Environment Agency leaflet: what to do before, during and after a flood.

Stay informed  

Environment Agency Floodline – 0345 988 1188  

  • The Floodline provides information on the flood warnings issued for your area and other flood advice.  

Flood Warnings Direct  

Listen to local media  

  • the latest flood / weather forecasts and school closure information will be provided via local radio and TV
  • follow us on Twitter #floodaware and subscribe to our emailme flood service.  

Report problems 

Call the Environment Agency Floodline on 0345 988 1188 (24-hour service)

How to report problems
Type of flooding  Action Contact 
Sewers Should be reported to your water company. See further information about who is responsible for which sewer pipes.

Severn Trent:
0800 783 4444

Anglian Water:
03457 145 145

Roads and blocked highway drains/gullies Can be reported online Report online or contact our Customer Service Centre: 0300 500 80 80

Can be reported to our Customer Service team.

This is not an emergency response service. Information provided will be used to establish if an investigation needs to be carried out to help identify the cause of flooding, and possible prevention.

Report online or contact our Customer Service Centre:
0300 500 80 80

Pumping flood water from properties

We are unable to assist with the pumping out of individual properties. Our pumps are used for helping to alleviate flooding and protect infrastructure where many properties will benefit.

You should contact your home insurer to request assistance. Alternatively, you can contact the Environment Agency on 0345 988 1188 for advice.

Pumps can usually be hired form local tool hire companies, although care should be taken on where the water will be pumped out to as potentially the situation could be worsened. The Fire Service may use their high volume pumps to help your community, but it is unlikely they will assist in the pumping out of individual properties.

Can we help?

Take a look at our flooding factsheet for further advice and information on how the County Council and other organisations can help.

Share this page?