As a Teaching Partnership we recognise the important role played by our social work managers. We need to ensure that they are appropriately supported in their work, and that they are provided with a robust CPD programme that keeps their practice and knowledge up to date, whilst also helping them move forwards in their social work career.
As a social work manager, you may be dealing with a range of issues which will encompass both social work practice and management practice:
- co-ordinating staff supervision, reflective supervision, and performance reviews
- overseeing caseload allocation across your team
- advising and guiding staff in the management of their caseload
- ensuring that all statutory processes are conducted correctly and within deadlines
- ensuring that internal record-keeping systems are kept updated
- managing, and reporting on, your team budget
- providing guidance and support to student social workers, and to newly qualified social workers within your team
- managing your team’s training and development needs
- co-ordinating and facilitating regular team meetings
- managing attendance/sickness
- dealing with any performance or disciplinary issues
- working with HR when recruiting to vacancies/hiring agency workers/dealing with leavers
- monitoring the general health and wellbeing of your team and signposting staff to other support services as appropriate
- attending management meetings.
Equally, as someone who aspires to be a social work manager, you will need to be adequately prepared for the transition from practitioner to manager – and the Partnership is currently reviewing how best to do this with its employer partners.
To this end, there are two key strands that we are investing our resources in over the coming year:
- developing the options available for our aspiring social work managers and preparing them for management roles
- developing and supporting our existing social work managers.
You may be interested in attending one of our Partnership events which are held at regular intervals across the year. Places are free at all of our events, and they have proved to be extremely popular. Make sure that you take a look at those we've scheduled by visiting our events page.
Get In Touch
For general Teaching Partnership enquiries, please email the Project Manager for the D2N2 Teaching Partnership, Catherine Williams email@example.com
News & Events
Having an effective and vibrant partnership depends on everyone taking part – it’s about communication, about sharing, and about YOU! We’re really keen to get as many people as possible involved in our work, to share what they’ve learned, what they’re doing, and what they think
So, here’s your chance to tell us about:
- a new piece of research you’ve discovered
- a new project that you’re working on
- some new training that you’ve undertaken
- a conference you’ve heard about, or attended
- anything else that your social work colleagues, or students, might be interested in.
- Simply drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “T.P.” in your email title.
If you have a query about any of our events, you can email:
We have eight Practice Educator Leads, who you can contact if you want to know more about practice education – they are based within each of our employer organisations, as detailed below:
Derbyshire County Council
Nottingham City Council
Framework Housing Assoc.
NHS Healthcare Trust
We are always looking to improve our services and we would love to hear your thoughts and bright ideas to help us develop and deliver a better, more valuable experience.
Please send your thoughts to email@example.com