Personal assistants

Personal Assistants (PAs) are employed to help people who need social care and health or health care support. This could be either because of their age or disability and can enable them to live as independently as possible in their home. Nottinghamshire County Council have a free accreditation scheme called Support with Confidence that will provide people interested in becoming a PA with training and guidance and support to register on “Nottinghamshire Help Yourself”

Apply to join Support with Confidence

PAs can help carry out a wide range of tasks including:

  • Personal care such as helping someone get washed and dressed
  • Health related tasks
  • Cleaning and housework
  • Shopping services
  • Preparing meals
  • Leisure and recreation activities
  • Helping someone to get involved in their local community
  • Supporting someone at their work.

Working as a Personal Assistant can be very rewarding, challenging and varied as well as offering flexible working patterns to suit your other commitments.

Personal Assistants can be employed directly by one Employer, or they can work for several different Employers. They can also work as part of a team of PAs who are employed by and supporting an individual. People who employ PAs are either in receipt of a Personal Budget (Local Authority), Personal Health Budget (NHS) or pay privately (self-funding).


For more information about being a PA visit Skills for Care – Being a PA.

If you are interested in becoming a PA, you can apply to join our Support with Confidence scheme.

If you want to know more about the Support with Confidence Scheme or becoming a PA please email

Looking for a personal assistant

If you are looking for support for yourself then visit our I'm looking for a personal assistant page.

Shared Lives

If you are interested in caring for someone in your own home, find out more about becoming a Shared Lives carer.

Take the quiz

The "Could you Care?" quiz is aimed at people who are considering a career in adult social care. It presents six short scenarios and asks what you would do. For each scenario there are three options to chose from.

Share this page?