Grass cutting

We are responsible for ensuring that verges along the roads we maintain meet road safety standards.


View our grass cutting schedule

Districts and Boroughs 

Ashfield District Council, Broxtowe Borough Council and Mansfield District Council currently cut grass verges in their areas on our behalf.

Many grassed areas in and around housing estates are not part of the highway and cutting these is not our responsibility. District councils usually do this.

National Highways maintain trunk roads in Nottinghamshire (A46, A1, A453, A52 and M1).

Grass cutting

We cut the grass

  • five times a year in urban areas
  • twice a year in rural areas.

This is for road safety reasons rather than visual appearance.

In urban areas the grass is cut to 75mm or below and we do not collect the grass cuttings. This means that a lawn-like finish is not achieved.

There are a few verges which are deemed conservation verges due to the special flora and fauna they contain. These are only cut once a year, usually in September.

Cutting the grass outside your own property

Many residents and businesses prefer a lawn-like finish to the grass outside their properties. We recognise the important work that residents and businesses do in cutting the grass outside their properties.

We've put together a list of points to consider when you're working in a public space and near to traffic:

  • pick a quiet time when there are fewer people and cars around
  • if the road is busy it is a good idea to wear a high-visibility jacket
  • do not cut wet grass or when it is raining or visibility is poor
  • remove stones and other loose objects from the grass before starting
  • check for metal covers for utility apparatus, and hidden holes
  • stop mowing if people are passing
  • if the site is sloping, mow across with a push mower but up and down with a ride on mower if there is space to do so
  • when working right by the road edge, face the oncoming traffic.

If you have grass cuttings from your property that you need to dispose of please contact your local district council. They may offer a service for the collection of garden waste in your area.

Fly-tipping of garden waste should be reported to your local district council.

Report a problem online

Share this page?