Evacuating your home
If you need to evacuate your home in the event of an emergency then:
- listen and comply with instructions from the emergency services
- account for all family members
- get your pets together with leads, cages, etc
- take any important items you may need with you, such as mobile phone, credit cards, medication, ID
- get your ready bag/emergency kit
- find out, where safe to do so, if neighbours need any assistance.
It is a good idea to consider now where you might go in case you are asked to evacuate your home.
- if lots of people have to leave their homes then the local authority will provide temporary emergency accommodation
- you may want to go to a relative or friend who lives outside the evacuation area instead
- check your home insurance policy as some providers cover for alternative accommodation.