Personal Education Plan (PEP) and education information

All children in care must have a care plan, of which the Personal Education Plan (PEP) is an important part. The PEP (from pre-school to age 18) should be initiated as part of the care plan. It is an evolving record of what needs to happen for our children to enable them to make at least expected progress and fulfil their potential. The PEP should reflect the importance of a personalised approach to learning that meets the child's identified educational needs, raises aspirations and builds life chances. The school, other professionals and the child's carers should use the PEP to support achieving those things. You play an essential role in supporting your child's learning at home.

Key stages

PEP's should be reviewed on a termly basis to ensure that the goals and supporting actions are relevant to the needs of the child. A full PEP should also be completed at any point of significant change and when a child moves into a new key stage

Hearing our children and young people

An integral part of the PEP is the child's/young person's voice. As carers you can be instrumental in ensuring that this is heard. You can use any documentation the local authority may have to support this or encourage the child/young person to use the Mind of My Own app.

Attendance at the PEP can support you to understand the curriculum the child/young person is studying, support option selections at appropriate points in key stage 3, ensure you can support progress through homework or extra curricular activities and celebrate the successes of your child/young person. 

Understanding Nottinghamshire processes

There are processes in Nottinghamshire that are there to support pupils that may need extra help with their learning. Schools are responsible to make sure they follow a graduated response when supporting pupils with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). 

Who is responsible for applying for school places? 

Only those with parental responsibilities can apply for school places. This is different from delegated authority. Foster carers do not have parental responsibility, it is either the local authority (via a social worker) or parent. 

We understand that moving schools can be a particularly difficult time for all children and we work in partnership with other services in Nottinghamshire to promote resources to support these transitions.

Share this page?