Financial support

You may be entitled to certain types of financial help and support depending on your financial circumstances.

School meals and milk

Milk is free for all pupils up to the age of five and at a reduced rate for all 5-7 year olds in nursery and infant schools. It is also subsidised for all pupils in special schools.

If you receive a qualifying benefit you can get free meals and milk for your child. Once in full-time education they will get either a free two-course meal or items of an equivalent value if there is a cash cafeteria service at lunchtime.

For information on how to apply for free school meals and milk please visit the free school meals page:

School clothing

School clothing allowances are discretionary and are no longer available to families living within Nottinghamshire except in exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances means families who have lost clothes in a fire, a flood, theft, have been made homeless or are fleeing domestic violence.  If parents consider their circumstances to meet one of these exceptional cases a request can be made to the Senior Professional Practitioners, Admissions and FSM Service. There is no guarantee that a request will be approved. 

To make further enquiries please contact our customer service team on 0300 5008080. 

Alternative ways to contact the customer service team  

Following submission of a request, the team will aim to respond to your enquiry within 10 working days. 

Help with travel costs

Find out if your child is eligible for free school travel:

Care to learn

Young parents (defined as those under the age of 20) can receive funding for childcare, through the Care to Learn scheme, to help continue at school or in further education after the birth of a child.

Find out more including how to apply.

Tax free childcare

If you're a working parent with children under 12 (or under 17 for disabled children), you can open an online account to pay for registered childcare.

The government will top-up the money you pay into the account. For every £8 you pay in, the government will add an extra £2. You can receive up to £2,000 per child per year - that's up to £500 every three months. If you have a disabled child, you can receive up to £4,000 per child - that's up to £1,000 every three months.

Visit our webpage for further information

Share this page?