Travel assistance for children and young people with special transport needs

Most children and young people with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) do not have a special transport need. Wherever possible and appropriate, children and young people with SEND should be treated in the same way as those without, i.e. in general they should walk to school/college, travel on public transport or be taken by their parents/carers.

Travel assistance may be available for a child or young person living in Nottinghamshire if they are assessed as being eligible. Special needs travel assistance eligibility is determined by officers of Nottinghamshire Transport and Travel Services (TTS), based upon medical advice and other evidence as required.

A special transport need would be where the child or young person:

  • lives within walking distance of the school/college but cannot walk or travel to school even if accompanied by a parent/carer,
  • is unable to use public transport when accompanied.

The Home to School Transport Policy and Post-16 Transport Policy Statement give full information regarding the eligibility criteria and entitlements for special needs travel assistance.

Apply for special needs travel assistance

Applications are assessed by officers of Nottinghamshire Transport and Travel Services Group. The quickest way to apply is by using the special needs travel assistance application form below: 

Apply Now

You can also ring the Customer Service Centre on 0300 500 80 80, where an assistant will complete an application with you over the phone.

If you need any help making your application, please ring 0300 500 80 80.

Re-applying for travel assistance

  • Under 16 - You do not need to re-apply every year for SEN travel assistance, unless changing school
  • Post 16 - You do need to re-apply for travel assistance each year.

Travel assistance options

If travel assistance is approved, this will normally take the form of one of the following:

    • Provision of a Direct Travel Assistance Payment (DTAP)
    • Parental mileage allowance
    • An Under-16 Travel Pass
    • Provision of special/medical transport

More information about travel assistance can be found on the SEND Local Offer

SEND Local Offer - Getting Around | Notts Help Yourself

Independent Travel Training (ITT)

The county council operates an Independent Travel Training (ITT) programme.

All pupils/students will be enabled to undertake ITT unless they are assessed, by an officer of the Council and the pupil/student’s school/college, as being unlikely to benefit from such training.

Pupils/students who have successfully completed the ITT programme will be enabled to make this journey to school or college independently. Special transport will not be provided for these pupils/students unless their circumstances change significantly.

Review of travel assistance

All arrangements for children and young people assessed as eligible for travel assistance will be kept under review as over time your child’s needs may change. For example, some children and young people may develop skills which will enable them to travel independently. Young people attending Post-16 education at a college of further education or Independent Specialist Provider will need to apply and be assessed annually for travel assistance.

Share this page?