Post 16 mainstream travel assistance
When to apply
Before you apply for Post 16 travel assistance, consider which local transport services and ticketing/fare schemes are available. The Traveline journey planner can help you plan a route and get information about public transport services and cost of transport.
To apply you must be:
- a Nottinghamshire County resident (excludes students living in Nottingham City or other local authorities)
- attending a full time course at a school, college or Independent Specialist Provider that’s funded by the Education Funding Agency (the scheme doesn’t apply to Higher Education courses or universities)
- over compulsory school age but under 19 on 1 September 2023
- someone who has undergone a statutory assessment of need, i.e. Education Health and Care Plan, and you’re between 19 and 24 years old on 1 September 2023.
Students with special transport needs
Once you’ve applied we’ll email you with the outcome, and let you know if we are able to offer you assistance, and, if so, how much you’ll have to pay. Registering online is quick and easy, and from there you can make any changes or payments, and we’ll email you with reminders.
Types of travel assistance you can apply for:
A half fare pass
This costs £190 per academic year and entitles you to travel at half the adult fare on a bus or train service to their school or college (currently not available on the tram). The pass can only be used on the specified bus services, for one journey to and from school or college each day before 10pm, Monday to Friday during term time.
A season pass
This is available to students travelling on specific school bus services and other services arranged by Nottinghamshire County Council. This will allow the student to travel between home and school/college without having to pay a daily fare. The travel pass can only be used on the specific bus service for one journey to and from school/college each day, started before 10pm, Monday to Friday during term time.
If we are able to offer a season pass, a price quote will be emailed to you. Students who purchase this pass may then travel without further daily payment on the specified service. You may pay for the season pass in full or by instalments.
The cost of a season pass is £631(approx TBC) which can be paid by three instalments of £210 (approx TBC)
- 1st instalment upon receipt of offer email
- 2nd instalment by 22 December 2023
- 3rd instalment by 28th March 2024
A travel allowance up to a maximum of £150 per academic year may be offered in exceptional circumstances instead of a half fare travel or season pass.
To be considered for the travel allowance the following conditions should be met:
- a student is must be attending the nearest school/college to their home address
- no public transport or other transport services exist, or the school/college is outside the Nottinghamshire boundary
- the travelling distance and travel times as calculated by Transport and Travel Services do not exceed 25 miles travelling distance and 75 minutes travelling time.
All travel allowances are paid termly in arrears and attendance must be certified by the school or college. Students sharing the same vehicle will be paid half the travel allowance each. Late applications made after the start of the academic year will result in a reduction in the amount of grant available.
Special transport needs
The statutory three mile distance criterion will be waived for students who have been assessed by the county council as having a special transport need.
There are some further entitlements and additional benefits available for pupils with a disability or special educational needs.
Find out more
- public transport - including buses, trains and trams
- road safety