Guidance for employees, the self-employed, employers, care providers, charities and businesses

Last updated 19 April 2021

There are measures in place to support businesses, large and small, and their employees during the Covid-19 outbreak.  

Displaying a QR code

From Thursday 24 September you are legally required to display an official QR code poster if you are a business or venue in of the following sectors:

  • hospitality
  • leisure and tourism
  • close contact services
  • places of worship
  • local authority

You must display a QR code so that customers and visitors can check-in using the NHS COVID-19 app. 

Creating your poster

To create and display your QR code poster, you will need: 

  • the address details for each of your venues
  • your email address
  • an email address and contact phone number for each of your locations (for example, contact details of a store manager if that’s not you)

Start creating your code

Support and grants available to businesses

The latest government financial support for eligible businesses who are affected by the pandemic can be found by visiting the D2N2 Growth Hub or the Government website.

To support the recovery of the high street as government trading restrictions are relaxed, the Chancellor has announced the one-off payment 'Restart Grant'. This grant replaces the Local Restrictions Support Grant from April 2021 onwards (for eligible businesses). Learn more about the support available.

Dedicated Business Advisers are also available via the D2N2 Growth Hub to provide advice and support to small and medium size businesses across Nottinghamshire.

Work in the food and drink sector? We've created a business toolkit to help local businesses in the food and drink industry bounce back after coronavirus.  

Workforce testing 

If your job means you can’t work from home please go along to a community testing site to get regular twice-weekly tests, particularly if you work closely with vulnerable people in a health or caring role, and do not already have access to routine testing through your employer. 

If you are an employee, the Government advises that you work from home unless it is impossible to do so. 

As an employee, there is also advice for: 

  • receiving sick pay due to COVID-19
  • furloughed workers
  • claiming benefits

View COVID-19 support for employees

You may be eligible for a taxable grant covering 80% of trading profits. Further information including advice if you cannot pay your tax bill on time or struggling to keep up with mortgage repayments due to coronavirus is available on the Government website.


Thank you to the hundreds of charities and community groups for your incredible work.


Groups who were successful in getting  grants via our  COVID-19 Community Fund   or  Emergency Assistance Fund for Food and Essential Supplies have now been contacted.


For those still seeking further support visit our support, advice and networking opportunities website page.


The latest Government advice for charities is available on GOV.UK.

To report concerns about a business that you believe is not following current Coronavirus guidance, please contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0808 223 1133.

There are currently several teams within Nottinghamshire advising businesses on their obligations and it will depend upon the type of business and the trader's location as to whether your concerns will be dealt with by Nottinghamshire County Council Trading Standards, a district council team or another partner agency. Following your call to the above number, your concerns will be forwarded to the appropriate team.

Nottinghamshire County Council wishes to enable young people for whom work permits have been issued to continue to work where it is safe to do so and especially where they are employed in a keyworker role such as newspaper delivery. Here is some guidance for those employing young people aged 13-16 years (inclusive) during the Coronavirus pandemic:

  • Ensure risk assessments are up to date, signed and dated by parent/guardian, along with having emergency contact details for the young person.
  • If any young person or their parent wishes to not continue with their work, then of course they should be released from their duties. Waiver normal leaver notice periods if people really want to give up.
  • Issue notices to parents to reassure them and respond promptly to any concerns or objections. Pass on web links to Government and PHE information pages.

Businesses should ensure the young person is able to keep to the rules regarding social distancing when at work. This advice applies to both inside the business and in the external public areas. If this is not possible then the young person should be released from their role until social distancing rules are relaxed.

Young people should be reminded to wash their hands for 20 seconds and more frequently than normal.

Provide tissues and hand sanitiser in the shop/business for the young people to use before during and after their shift.

If the young person presents at work with Covid-19 symptoms you must send them home and inform the parents straight away.

If the young person needs to self-isolate they should not be in work.

In the case of newspaper deliveries:

Ensure the young workers do not come into contact with the householders in their course of their work, being able to drop newspapers on door steps and through letter boxes. They should not be knocking on doors or obtaining signatures

Make arrangements for gloves and masks where required. The World Health Organisation has confirmed that the likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low, and therefore the risk of contracting Covid-19 through receipt of a printed paper is infinitely small:

Young people should be delivering the round alone or with a member of the same household.

Consider options to deliver at a time that suits the worker if they feel more comfortable delivering when it is likely that there are fewer people about (though most deliver in the morning anyway) ensuring this still meets employment bylaws.

For further help and support please contact the Child Employment, Entertainment and Chaperone Team on / 0115 8546082 / 0115 8546070 or / 0115 8546040.

Share this page?