Assessment of your needs

Your GP, or another worker, may have told you that you need a care and support assessment. Before we do this, we will work with you to help you find services and support in your community that could help you to stay independent.

If you are struggling with daily tasks or have been in hospital, you may need short term support to help you return to independence.

If your needs require longer term support, we can carry out a care and support assessment to find out if you are eligible for care.

Help and support

Tell us about your situation and we can give you the advice, support or services that you need.

Information and advice for you

Eligibility for care

The government has set a national eligibility criteria for social care support. We will meet your needs if a care and support assessment shows that: 

  • your needs come from, or are related to, a physical or mental impairment or illness
  • as a result of your needs, you are unable to achieve two or more tasks specified in the Care and Support (Eligibility Criteria) Regulations 2014 [PDF].
  • as a consequence there is, or is likely to be, a significant impact on your wellbeing.

Care and support assessment

Care and support assessment can be completed:

  • over the phone
  • at a clinic
  • during a visit at your home by one of our workers.

You can also ask for an assessment form to be sent to you, so you can fill it in and return it to us. 

To arrange an assessment contact us by telephone on 0300 500 80 80. Our staff will discuss the best way for you to have an assessment. 

After your assessment

If you are eligible for care and support we will work with you to develop a care and support plan [PDF], which will set out how your needs can be best met. Most people have to pay something towards the cost of their care and support, see our paying for care page for more information.

Once the support plan is agreed you may be offered a personal budget. You will be offered a choice about how to receive your personal budget. You can take it as a direct payment, to find out more see:

If you are eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare funding or joint funding from health and social care, you may get a personal health budget.

If you are not eligible for care and support you can find information and advice about other sources of help through our Nottinghamshire Help Yourself website.


Share this page?