Licences and registrations


If you plan to keep explosives such as fireworks, safety cartridges or vehicle airbag detonators you will need an explosives licence.


If you intend to supply fireworks all year round you will need a fireworks licence in addition to an explosives licence.


If you store petrol in a tank or bowser for delivery into the fuel tank of a vehicle or other internal combustion engine you will need a petroleum licence.


There is no longer a requirement to register with us in order to sell non-medicinal poisons. Members of the public wanting to acquire or import certain chemicals must apply for an Explosives Precursors and Poisons (EPP) Licence from the GOV.UK website.

Performing animals

On 1 October 2018 The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 came into force, and moves the licensing function regarding animals kept or trained for exhibition to district councils.

Therefore from 1 October 2018 we will no longer be issuing the Performing Animals Act licences. Please contact the district council where the licence is required for regarding any new licence applications. If you have a current licence which was issued by the County Council, please note that this will only be valid for six months from 1 October 2018 and will expire on 1 April 2019, after which time you will need to apply to the relevant district council for a new licence.

Animal feed

Businesses carrying out any operation of production, manufacture, processing, storage, transport or distribution of animal feed are required to be approved or registered. This includes a producer producing, processing or storing feed for feeding to animals on their own holding.

For more information and a registration form visit the Food Standards Agency website. Download, print and fill in the animal feed application form [PDF]. Your completed registration form should be emailed to us at or posted to address:

Trading Standards
County House
100 Chesterfield Road South
NG19 7AQ

For a copy of the feed register email

Share this page?