Tell Us Once

When someone dies there is a lot to sort out and often lots of different organisations to inform of the death. There may be several government departments and agencies that you need to notify e.g.

  • HM Revenue and Customs (e.g. to cancel benefits and credits)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (e.g. to cancel benefit s and entitlements)
  • Passport Office (to cancel a British passport)
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (to cancel a licence)
  • the local council (e.g. to cancel housing benefit, Council Tax Reduction, a Blue Badge)

The Tell Us Once service is designed to make this process simpler for you by helping you to provide this information to the government just once.

If you choose to use this service at the time of registering the death, the Tell Us Once system will notify all relevant departments (that you have mentioned to the registrar) on your behalf.

For more information, please visit

Share this page?