Using our recycling centres
Your use of our recycling centres depends on who you are, where you live, the waste you have and the vehicle you wish to use.
To use our recycling centres you must:
- live in Nottinghamshire (excluding Nottingham City)
- have waste from your own home - if you rent out houses or flats you cannot dispose of this at our recycling centres as it is regarded as trade waste, which is not accepted
- have created the waste yourself - if you have waste from work carried out by a commercial business it is their responsibility to remove the waste.
Registered charities based in Nottinghamshire may be able to dispose of waste for free at some of our recycling centres.
Vehicles and permits
To make sure only those allowed to use our recycling centres do so we have a permit system based on the vehicle you use.
You don't need a permit if you use:
You cannot take waste using any of the following vehicles:
- Van with single-axle trailer
- Pick-up with single-axle trailer
- Any vehicle with a double-axle trailer
- Horsebox or any other vehicle used to transport horses or farm animals.
You need a permit if you use:
- Car with single-axle trailer
- Minibus with single-axle trailer
- Sign-written vehicle.
You can apply for a permit online.
Permits are free but must be displayed in your windscreen when you visit the recycling centre and cannot be transferred between vehicles. If the registration on your permit does not match the vehicle you are using you will not be allowed to use a recycling centre.
Moving house or changing your vehicle
Permits are tied to a particular address and vehicle and cannot be transferred. If you move house or change your vehicle you will need to apply for a new permit and cancel your old one. Make sure that you have a new VC5 number from the DVLA and check your new vehicle is of a type needing a permit.
Cancelling your permit
If you no longer need a permit you can easily cancel it using this short form. Doing this helps us to keep administrative costs low and combats illegal use of the permits. You do not need to return your old permit so please dispose of it to help prevent illegal use.
Using a hire van
If you have waste that cannot fit in your vehicle you can use a hire van to take it to a recycling centre. To get access you must phone 0300 500 80 80 a minimum of 24 hours before you wish to visit.
You will need to bring your hire agreement with you when you visit the recycling centre.
Pedestrian, bicycle and disabled access
If you'd like to access our recycling centres on foot or using a bicycle, view our other access, assistance and feedback page, which also contains information on disabled access, assistance and how to give feedback on your experience when visiting.