Equipment to help you
Simple equipment you can buy
These videos show some of the items that could help you with simple tasks around your home.
List of products
- Bath/shower board
- Bed Lever
- Cooking basket
- Grab rail and handrail
- Helping hand
- Perching stool
- Shower Seat
- Tap Turner
- Raise toilet Seats
You can have a free impartial assessment and receive advice about the type of equipment that may be suitable for your needs and where to buy it from at the Disabilities Living Centre
You may be eligible for social care support with equipment. After a care and support assessment we will talk to you about your situation and what equipment might help you. Any equipment we provide is free of charge for as long as you need it.
We don't supply:
- small items of equipment, such as cooking baskets and helping hands. Please see the section above for where these can be purchased.
- zimmer frames, walking sticks, pressure mattresses, cot sides, standard commodes or slide sheets - contact your District Nurse or GP
- wheelchairs - see the Disabilities Living Centre for possible suppliers, if you want to buy one or contact your GP
- equipment for temporary conditions such as a hip replacement or broken leg - contact the hospital occupational therapy service before you are discharged
- ramps - we don't provide ramps for privately purchased scooters.
If you have a long-term illness or disability you do not have to pay VAT on some types of equipment. For more information contact the HMRC by calling 0845 302 0203.