We've made some changes to our website. You may find some areas still in development. Read more about this work.

Care and support in Nottinghamshire

People need care and support for many reasons. This can be because of their age, disability, health or personal situation they find themselves in.

We are responsible for making sure that older people, adults with physical disabilities, mental health needs, learning disabilities and vulnerable people get the information, advice and support that they need. 

This is to ensure individuals maintain their independence, to increase their quality of life and to help them lead fuller more enjoyable lives.

For most people this will mean finding out ways to support themselves or improve their own quality of life and we will help you find the support and tools for you to do this. For a small number of people we may need to provide more support.

We have made two short videos about how to get information and advice and how to get support.

Nottinghamshire Help Yourself

You can find out about a range of support available in your community by using Nottinghamshire Help Yourself which gives information about local organisations that provide a range of services. 

What we will do for you

If you need social care support from us we will:

  • provide advice, information and services that support your independence
  • focus on what you can do for yourself and work to help you maintain and improve your abilities
  • find the most cost effective way to provide support, to meet the needs of all people who are eligible for care
  • promote choice and control so you can receive support in ways that are meaningful to you.

Our aim is to help people stay living safely at home or in their own communities for as long as possible. Residential care will be considered after everything else has been tried. See our social care support for adults leaflet [PDF] for more information.

What this means for you

So we can support you in the most appropriate way: 

  • we will share responsibility with you for your care and support
  • you will receive social care if there is no other way to support you and this will be provided as long as you need it
  • most people will have to contribute something towards the cost of their social care support
  • you will be provided with social care support in the most cost effective way, this might mean that the Council will not wholly fund your preferred service. 

What you should do if you think you need social care support

You might need to have a care and support assessment for some of the support provided or arranged by us. If think you need an assessment see our care and support assessment page. If you are caring for someone and need support find out more on our carers page

Share this page?

Contact the Council

Find and talk with us online or contact us directly by online form, email, telephone, post or in person at one of our offices.

Facebook.com/Nottinghamshire Twitter.com/NottsCC Use our online form Visit us in person Call us on 0300 500 80 80