Planning Performance Agreements
As part of its enhanced planning service the County Council now offers the opportunity for applicants to enter into a Planning Performance Agreement (PPA) with the Council. This sits alongside the Council’s existing pre-application advice service. A PPA is a project management tool which allows all parties to agree timescales, actions and resources for handling planning applications. PPAs are usually agreed at the pre-application stage and relate to the whole development process, from pre-application planning advice and community engagement, to application progress meetings right through to the post decision stage, including the discharge of conditions and site monitoring. PPAs can be used for any type of application but are most effective for major and complex planning applications.
Benefits of a Planning Performance Agreement
The key benefits of a PPA are as follows;
- Identification of key issues and relevant consultees at an early stage;
- Setting more realistic and predictable timetables, with a structure of deadlines and action points;
- Improved collaborative working between the key stakeholders;
- Better overall management of advice at pre-application and post application stages;
- Greater accountability, transparency and communication;
- Better project management with a guarantee of dedicated Council resources;
- Removal of statutory timescales for the determination of applications;
- Greater commitment from relevant consultees to respond in a timely manner, particularly internal consultees;
- Better commitment to community engagement and consultation, enabling communities to influence planning decisions;
- Ability to recover costs, thereby reducing the financial burden on Council resources.
The County Council recognises that the successful delivery of development projects requires good working relationships with developers, communities and other stakeholders. Improved communication and transparency can help reduce delays, provide accurate and timely advice and set realistic time frames for determination.
Planning Performance Agreement Charter
A copy of the County Council’s PPA Charter, which was approved by the County Council in January 2019, is set out below.
Planning Performance Agreement Template
Further information about PPAs, including the objectives, the services provided through the PPA and the costs involved, are set out in the PPA sample template below.
Setting up a Planning Performance Agreement
If you would like to discuss setting up a Planning Performance Agreement with the Council please contact the Development Management Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0115 9932599.