School travel plans
A school travel plan is a document setting out a package of measures for reducing car usage and congestion in the area of the school and improving safety on the school journey. School travel plans are put together by the school and the school community.
Benefits to the school
A school travel plan benefits the school by:
- reducing traffic in and around the school area
- improving safety
- reducing pollution
- improving relationships with the local community.
Benefits to pupils
Benefits to pupils include:
- improved road safety skills
- improved fitness levels through increased levels of walking
- increased travel awareness.
Benefits to parents
Benefits to parents include:
- improved journey quality
- increased community awareness
- strengthened home-school links.
Our road safety team can offer a template and guidance on completing a school travel plan. To request a template, or for more information about school travel plans email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0300 500 80 80.