Pumpkin Soup (and pumpkin carving)
It's that time of year again! If you're carving out pumpkins for Halloween, why not keep a spare one to make this delicious vegan pumpkin soup?
Looking for pumpkin carving design ideas? Try the links below:
- 1kg pumpkin
- 1 red pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 ½ cups water or stock
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- Pinch of paprika
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (gas mark 4). Halve the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. Roast the whole red pepper and pumpkin halves with the cut side down in the oven at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes. After it cools down, the pumpkin becomes easy to peel and slice. Chop into small chunks. Peel the pepper and slice, catching the juices trapped within. Keep aside.
- Spread out the pumpkin seeds on the baking sheet and place in the warm oven (after turning off) for 10 minutes.
- Slice the onion, garlic and carrot. Add water/ stock and boil along with chopped pumpkin. Once the liquid comes to boil, let simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables become soft.
- Turn off the heat. Add the sliced red pepper with the juices, ground cumin, salt and pepper and blend using a stick blender. Or cool and blend using a stick blender.
- The pumpkin seeds should be ready by now. Pour the soup into bowls and garnish with the toasted pumpkin seeds and sprinkle the top with paprika.