Changing school in-year

Due to the Government’s announcement on Monday 4 January 2021 to keep schools open for vulnerable children and the children of key workers, where possible your child should continue to access remote provision from their current school. Nottinghamshire County Council are only processing applications for in-year 20 school places if:

  • A child is without a school place.
  • A family has recently moved to Nottinghamshire and their child is without a school place.
  • The parent/carer is a key worker and their child needs to move schools as a result of the current national emergency.
  • If the parent/carer doesn’t meet the criteria listed above, they will need to wait until the schools reopen to make an in-year application.

Moving house

If you have recently moved house you may be requested to provide proof of residence so that the admission authority can verify the address of your child.

If you move house within Nottinghamshire and you want your child to stay at their current school, they may do so although you may not be eligible for help with any transport costs. It is important, therefore, that you consider transport to school and check your entitlement.

Moving into the catchment area of a school will not guarantee your child a place at that school.

Schools information and oversubscription criteria 2020-2021




Other local authority areas

To apply for schools in other local authority areas you should contact the local authority directly for advice on how to apply.

Useful information

In-year applications


Fair access

Every Local Authority is required to have a Fair Access Protocol, developed in partnership with schools, to ensure that unplaced children, especially the most vulnerable, are found and offered a place quickly. Where it is not possible to secure a place through the usual admission process an application may be referred by Nottinghamshire County Council’s school admissions team in line with Nottinghamshire County Council’s Fair Access Protocol. Parental applications for school places cannot be made directly to the Fair Access Team and applications need to be made as outlined here  

Share this page?