Apply for a certificate of a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership
Nottinghamshire County Council holds the records of all births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships which have taken place in the County of Nottinghamshire since 1837.
For events before 1837, records are held either at local churches or at the county archives
Please note: the record of any event which has taken place within the Nottingham City boundary is held by Nottingham City Council
If you require copies of your divorce papers (decree absolute) you will need to contact the court where the divorce was granted. Visit gov.uk
If you have been legally adopted (in England & Wales) you need to apply for your adoption certificate to the The Registrar General
You will need
For all certificates:
- full name of the person (at the time of the event) whose certificate is required
- date and place of the event
- details of why you require a certificate
- your relationship to the person(s) concerned
- your name, contact details and address
- your payment details
- for birth certificates: parents' full names, including mother's maiden name
- for death certificates: where possible last known occupation and address or age of the deceased
- for civil partnership certificates: full address of both partners at the time of the civil partnership (if you don’t know the address, we can only issue a short certificate that does not include address details for both partners).
Standard: £11 per copy certificate
- collection in person or despatch by second class post within 15 days
- postage costs outside of UK - £2
Priority/24 hour service: £35 per certificate
- Despatch by 1st class post or collection the same day (where possible, where the application is received before 3pm) or the next working day.
Alternative ways to do this
You can also apply: