How to register a birth

As parents of your new-born child, you are legally required to register the birth. You need to register your baby’s birth in order to obtain a birth certificate and give him/her an official identity. You can then use the certificate to claim child benefit and other family-related benefits. By law, you must register the birth of your child within 42 days (six weeks) of the date of birth.

Registering a birth

To register a birth, please contact your local register office to make an appointment.

The birth must be registered in the registration district in which it occurred. Babies born in Nottingham City Hospital or Queen's Medical Centre can be registered in any Nottinghamshire office.

If you would prefer to register the birth outside of Nottinghamshire, details of the birth may be given at any other register office in England and Wales by making a declaration. However, there will be a delay in such cases since any birth certificates you request will be sent to you by post.

Share this page?