The Nottinghamshire Local Transport Plan (LTP) sets out the County Council’s overarching transport strategy for Nottinghamshire and is supported by a number of more in-depth strategies detailing how the LTP will be delivered. The existing cycling strategy for Nottinghamshire is included within the LTP but with a commitment to developing a more detailed cycling strategy.
Increasing financial constraint and reducing budgets have also brought forward an essential need for us to develop clear strategies for future transport priorities and investment. A cycling strategy for Nottinghamshire has therefore been developed to complement the LTP in the delivery of local and national objectives; particularly those relating to improving access to jobs and reducing the impact of congestion on the economy.
Consultation on the draft strategy
The draft strategy sets out how we will work with partners, stakeholders and the public to increase cycling levels and improve cycling safety in Nottinghamshire. It sets out our cycling vision for Nottinghamshire and how we aim to deliver this, including:
- improving cycling safety
- developing a prioritised high quality, joined up, safe, well connected cycle network in Nottinghamshire
- providing for the integration of cycling with other longer distance passenger transport modes
- encouraging more people to cycle more often
- securing and allocating funding for cycling improvements within Nottinghamshire.
The improvements detailed within the draft strategy have been developed taking into consideration a number of factors including:
- evidence of need in the county gathered through a variety of means (e.g. information from cyclists, cycling organisations, neighbouring authorities, as well as that collected by us)
- the results of surveys undertaken (e.g. as part of the development of the LTP, the annual National Highways & Transport Survey, as well as other consultation exercises)
- national, regional and local best practice
- neighbouring transport authorities’ cycling strategies to help ensure a consistent approach across administrative boundaries.
Have your say
Before we finalise the strategy we want you to tell us if you agree with the draft cycling strategy [PDF] we have developed.
We would particularly like to know:
- Do you agree with the cycling vision for Nottinghamshire (detailed in paragraph 2.1)?
a. Would you like anything additional included in the vision?
The actions that will be undertaken to deliver the cycling vision are detailed in chapters 4 to 14 of the strategy and are summarised in the blue boxes in each chapter.
- Do you support the actions set out in the strategy to deliver the cycling vision for Nottinghamshire?
a. Are there any actions that you would like to see included in the strategy that are not currently included?
b. Of the actions included in the strategy, are there any that you think the Council and its partners should prioritise?
- Do you have any further comments on the strategy?
Please let us have any comments you may have on the draft strategy by 20 November 2015.
You can make comments by:
Transport Planning and Programme Development Team
Nottinghamshire County Council