Seasonal decorations and other adornments on and over the public highway
If you want to install seasonal decorations or other adornments in or above the public highway, you will need to apply for permission. This can include festive lights, hanging baskets, CCTV, ANPR cameras, banners and more.
Please download and complete this application form which includes guidance and our terms and conditions. Please ensure that you read the guidance notes and our terms and conditions prior to submitting your application form.
The following documents are required in support of your application. Please ensure these are submitted alongside your application. Failure to do so may result in delays to your application:
- A letter of support from the relevant town/community council (if separate from the applicant)
- A list detailing location of the installations with column numbers and technical data outlining the specification of the equipment to be installed (A plan is no longer a requirement)
- Method statement
- Risk assessment
- Proof of the contractors public liability insurance (to the value of £5million – see G.2.0 or Terms and Conditions)
- If using catenary wires, details and results of tests carried out or confirmation that tests will be carried out (providing dates of when and providing the results when requested by the Authority)
Applications requiring electrical installation:
- Proof of the contractors competency and qualifications of the operatives, including who will complete the connection and disconnection
- 24/7 emergency contact details which may be used at any time
- A copy of the unmetered supply certificate or evidence that you have created an account for the use of the electricity
All applications must be submitted a minimum of 12 weeks prior to the proposed installation date and must include the required supporting documents listed on the application form.
CCTV Applications incur a charge of £185.00 which will be payable prior to your licence being issued. Payment details will be sent to you upon receipt of your application.
ILP Code of Practice
The application form has been produced in response to the 'Code of Practice for the Installation, Operation and Removal of Seasonal Decorations' published by the Institution of Lighting Engineers. Promoters will need to obtain a copy of this Code of Practice to use as a reference when completing an application.
Copies of the Code of Practice can be purchased from www.theilp.org.uk
If you have any queries with regards to this process, please email Licences@viaem.co.uk