Making changes to waterways

Ordinary Watercourses - Land Drainage Consent

If you want to build a culvert or structure (such as a weir) on an ordinary watercourse that may affect flow or flood risk, you may need to apply for written consent before starting the work.


This service is for consent to build a culvert or structure (such as a weir) to control the flow of water on any ordinary watercourse.

You will need

  • Details of the work you plan to carry out (plans and other documents can be uploaded to the online application or posted/emailed in separately)
  • Payment card details (the cost is £50 per proposed structure plus additional compliance checking fees.)

The GOV.UK website contains all the information you need to apply or re-apply for a Blue Badge.

Changes to a Watercourse

Alternative ways to do this

(Plans and other documents can be posted or emailed in separately)

  • If you’d like to complete an application and payment over the phone, contact us.

Nottinghamshire County Council
Flood Risk Management Team
Trent Bridge House
Fox Road
West Bridgford

Please enclose a cheque with your application made payable to Nottinghamshire County Council

The cost of the application is £50 per proposed structure (2 structures = £100 application fee)

Additional fees also apply with respect to required Compliance Checking on new structures. Please see “Land Drainage Consent Policy Guidance Document” for additional information.

If you need help filling in this form or require it in a different format (e.g. in large print, in Braille or on CD), contact us.

Share this page?