- 6 sausages
- 1 onion
- 1 bolognaise pasta sauce or tinned tomatoes
- Chilli flakes, paprika, pepper
- 1 broccoli
- 2 carrots
- Chop the onion into small pieces, you can grate if you find it easier. Add to a frying pan.
- Grate the carrot and add to a frying pan with the onion.
- Remove the sausage meat from the skins and add to the pan.
- Place pan on a medium/high heat and fry. You won't need oil as fat will come out of the sausages. Fry the mixture until the sausage meat is cooked through (no traces of pink) and the onions are soft.
- Boil the pasta using the packet instructions.
- Add pasta sauce or tinned tomatoes and any extra seasoning you want such as chilli flakes, paprika, chilli powder and black pepper and bubble until the sauce is thick.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Toss the pasta and sausage sauce together and serve with a helping of broccoli for an extra one of your 5 a day.
- If you don't have broccoli, serve this tasty pasta dish with salad.
- If you don't have sausages, swap them for 250g minced beef for our take on a spicy bolognaise.
You can get FREE fruit, veg, milk and vitamins for you and your family if you qualify for Healthy Start. Find out more by visiting www.healthystart.nhs.uk or phoning 0345 607 6823.
This recipe gives you 3 of your 5-a-day vegetables.