Pumpkin hummus served in a pepper jack-o'-lantern
For this pepper jack-o'-lantern you can make your own hummus, using the ingredients below, or buy ready made hummus. Perfect for Halloween.
For making your own hummus:
- 1 small pumpkin
- Olive oil (for roasting)
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ lemon (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons of tahini paste
- 400g can of chickpeas (drained)
For the jack-o'-lantern:
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- Vegetables to use as sticks ('hair'): carrot, cucumber, celery, or pepper, cut into sticks
If making your own hummus:
- Cut the top off the pumpkin, about two-thirds of the way up. Remove the pumpkin seeds, then scoop the flesh out of the bottom and the lid.
- Heat the oven to 200C / 180C fan / gas mark 6. Cut the pumpkin flesh into pieces and put in a roasting tin with the garlic, leave to cool.
- Place the roasted pumpkin flesh, lemon juice, tahini paste and chickpeas in a blender or use a stick blender
- Season with salt and blend to a paste – add a little more oil if it’s too thick.
- Cut the top off the peppers, giving the lid about 2cm in height.
- Core the pepper with a sharp knife and scoop the out seeds using a spoon.
- Use the knife to cut out a Halloween style face into the pepper.
Fill the pepper with the hummus, and place the vegetable sticks in the top to look like hair.