Potato, Onion and Cheese Bake
- 800g potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 200ml chicken/vegetable stock (1 stock cube dissolved in 200ml boiling water)
- 40g cheddar cheese grated
- Black pepper
- Fresh parsley/dried herbs
- Preheat the oven too 200C or Gas Mark 6
- Spread a layer of sliced onion on the bottom of an ovenproof dish and then arrange a layer of sliced potato on top.
- Add another layer of onions and the potato. Repeat until all the potatoes and onions are used.
- Pour the stock over the top and then season with black pepper and any herbs (optional).
- Cover with foil and place in the oven for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour remove the foil, sprinkle the grated cheese over the top and return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese had melted and the potatoes are soft.
- To increase the vegetable content and for some extra flavour, add some sliced leeks.
- Opt for reduced fat cheddar cheese to make this meal healthier but just as comforting.
- For a meaty twist add some diced chicken or sliced bacon medallions.
You can get FREE fruit, veg, milk and vitamins for you and your family if you qualify for Healthy Start. Find out more by visiting www.healthystart.nhs.uk or phoning 0345 607 6823.
This recipe gives you 1 of your 5-a-day vegetables.