- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced and diced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 200g mushrooms
- 4 small chicken breasts or thighs (skin removed) - palm size portion for children
- 500g swede, peeled and cut into chunky dice
- 500ml chicken or beef stock (can use gravy granules - add 4 teaspoons, 20g)
- Green vegetables to serve (e.g. broccoli)
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Fry the onions and diced carrots for 5-10 mins until softened. Add the crushed garlic.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 5-10 mins. At this point you can choose to safely drain away some of the cooking juices reducing the fat content of the dish. Please be careful when doing so.
- Fill a jug with 500ml of boiled water and add the stock or 4 teaspoons of gravy granules and then stir.
- Add the stock to the dish and toss in the swede and / or potatoes. Season with black pepper and bring to the boil. Add more gravy granules for a thicker sauce.
- Reduce the heat, add the mushrooms, cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked. If you want to reduce the liquid a little, remove the lid, turn up the heat, and cook for a further 10-15 mins or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve on plates or in bowls with green vegetables like broccoli, peas, or green beans.
- Make the day before or use a slow cooker to make life easier
- Make the dish more plant based by halving the meat content and adding more veg.
- Create a mash topping instead sing celeriac, potato, or swede.
- If you have any fresh thyme or bay leaves add this to the dish while it is cooking for extra flavour.
You can get FREE fruit, veg, milk and vitamins for you and your family if you qualify for Healthy Start. Find out more by visiting www.healthystart.nhs.uk or phoning 0345 607 6823.
This recipe gives you 2 of your 5-a-day vegetables.