Cheesy Parsnip Soup
- Low calories cooking spray / 1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion finely sliced
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 large parsnip peeled and diced
1 litre chicken/vegetable stock
120g cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a large pan then add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the potato, parsnip and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes until all the veg has softened.
- Take off the heat and using a hand blender, blend the soup to a smooth puree.
- Shortly before you're ready to serve return the soup to a pan and heat gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and season to taste.
- Serve with a slice of bread.
- Lots of different veg would work in this recipe and add to the flavour, for example carrots, butternut squash or anything else you fancy.
- Soup is a quick healthy lunch idea, so just cover cool and refrigerate. Eat within 3 days.
You can get FREE fruit, veg, milk and vitamins for you and your family if you qualify for Healthy Start. Find out more by visiting www.healthystart.nhs.uk or phoning 0345 607 6823.
This recipe gives you 1 of your 5-a-day vegetables.