- Low calories cooking spray / 1 tbsp oil
- 1 pepper, sliced
- 1 large diced onion
- 500g minced beef
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 120ml chicken stock (1 cube dissolved in 120ml boiling water)
- 400g tin of tomatoes
- 3 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 80g trimmed green beans
- 2cm piece of root ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray and add the mince. Brown the mince over a medium heat for 5 minutes, breaking it up into smaller pieces with a spoon. Drain off any fat.
- Then add the curry powder and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the meat is well coated.
- Add the onion, pepper and optional garlic and ginger. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, chopped tomatoes and trimmed green beans, then bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the natural yoghurt.
- Serve with boiled rice.
- For more heat add 1 red chilli or some chilli powder/flakes.
- Try this recipe with turkey mince instead for a lower fat but just as tasty alternative.
- Add some diced carrots or a couple of handfuls of frozen peas to boost the veggie content of this dish.
- How about serving with brown rice? It's a good source of fibre!
You can get FREE fruit, veg, milk and vitamins for you and your family if you qualify for Healthy Start. Find out more by visiting www.healthystart.nhs.uk or phoning 0345 607 6823.
This recipe gives you 1 and three quarters of your 5-a-day vegetables.