Future Nottinghamshire: local government reorganisation in Nottinghamshire
The outline business case for change – which includes a proposal for a new system of unitary local government in Nottinghamshire - has been paused while further work is carried out on the opportunities for refining the current two-tier structure.
This means that the report will no longer be discussed at the Full Council meeting on 13 December 2018.
What does the Outline Case for Change cover?
The Outline Case for Change document [PDF] analyses the case for changing the structure of local government in Nottinghamshire.
The strengths and weaknesses of five options for the future shape of local government are analysed in the document, including retaining the status quo and three variations of two new unitary councils covering Nottinghamshire.
Based on work done so far, the report concludes that a single countywide unitary council is the preferred option. However, the case for this preferred option is not complete and a further period of refinement and consultation is considered the next appropriate step.
The externally verified financial modelling estimates that one unitary council for the whole of Nottinghamshire could deliver the greatest permanent financial savings of £27.1 million. Other options for two unitary councils deliver estimated permanent savings of £16.4 million.
The Outline Case for Change sets out potential significant benefits for Nottinghamshire if the aims outlined in the document are delivered. These aims include:
- a stronger local voice for residents
- a single strategic voice speaking up on behalf of the area
- a more prosperous County
- improved health and wellbeing for communities; and
- better services with an improved customer experience.
- Review of local government reorganisation savings by Deloitte [PDF]
- Report of public and stakeholder engagement (full report) by Opinion Research Services [PDF]
- Nottinghamshire Area Profile [PDF]
- Equality Impact Assessment [PDF]
- Local Government Reorganisation Update paper to Policy Committee on 14 November 2018 [PDF] | Appendix [PDF]
- Local Government Reorganisation - Development of the Case for Change paper to Policy Committee on 12 September 2018 [PDF] | Appendix A [PDF]
- Amended Motion Three to County Council on 12 July 2018 [PDF].