Funded 2 year old places for families receiving some additional forms of financial support
If you have a young child, they may be entitled to a funded nursery or early years place.
Below, you can apply or enquire for a funded early years place for your 2-year-old child if they are eligible.
Your 2-year-old child may qualify for a funded early years place if:
- your home address is in Nottinghamshire, and they are classed as a 'looked after child' (a looked after child is a child who is (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of their social services function. The term 'looked after child' would include a child who was previously 'looked after' but, immediately thereafter, became subject to an adoption, resident or special guardianship order)
- you have left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order.
OR you receive one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
- income-related employment support allowance (ESA)
- Universal Credit, and your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, not including benefit payments
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit (or both), and your household income is £16,190 a year or less before tax
- the Working Tax Credit four-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- your child receives Disability Living Allowance or your child has an Education Health and Care Plan.
If you’re a non-UK citizen who cannot claim benefits
If your immigration status says you have ‘no recourse to public funds’, you may still get free childcare for your 2-year-old. You must live in England and your household income must be no more than:
- £26,500 for families with one child
- £30,600 for families with two or more children
- you cannot have more than £16,000 in savings or investments.
When to apply
When can the 2-year-old funding start?
The information below will help you to understand when to apply for funding for your 2-year-old:
- if your child turns 2-years-old between 1 September and 31 December, the funding can begin on the term starting on or after 1 January (Spring). The recommended time to apply is between October and December
- if your child turns 2-years-old between 1 January and 31 March, the funding can begin on or after the term starting 1 April (Summer). The recommended time to apply is between January and March
- if your child turns 2-years-old between 1 April and 31 August, the funding can begin on or after the term starting 1 September (Autumn). The recommended time to apply is between mid-May and August
Please note: the application system only allows applications from when a child is 1 year and 9 months old. You will need to apply and have confirmation of eligibility before you can claim the funded hours.
If you attempt to apply before your child is 1 year and 9 months old you will not be able to proceed with your application. Please apply at a later date in this instance.
Do I have to pay anything?
The funding does not cover the costs of meals, other consumables (such as nappies or sun cream), additional hours or additional activities (such as trips). Providers may charge a fee for these additions.
You can use the 2 year funded places at early years providers that are Ofsted-rated good or outstanding for up to 15 hours per week for 38 weeks per year (term time only).
You can find childcare providers on the Notts Help Yourself website
How to apply
You can apply for 2-year-old funding if you are a family receiving some additional forms of financial support/ LAC/ EHCP by visiting the first link below, this will take you through to the Nottinghamshire County Council application page.
If you are a working family and would like to apply for funding for your child, please visit the second link below. Here you will find further information regarding eligibility criteria and the application process.
Alternative ways to do this
If you are unable to complete the online form to apply for 2-year-old funding and are receiving some additional forms of financial support/LAC /EHCP, you can contact us on 0300 500 80 80 or via our contact page.
If you are unable to apply online through the childcare choices website for 2-year-old funding for working families, please call 0300 1234097.