Cost of living support
We understand for many this is a challenging time. Find support, information, advice and guidance to help you and your family, friends and communities via the menu tabs below.
Help for Households
The government has set up a website 'Help for Households' offering help for households, giving details of what you could be eligible for, from income support and childcare costs to finding work.
Community Friendly Nottinghamshire are working with local district and borough councils to deliver cost of living events across the county. Residents can access help and support from a range of council services and local organisations at these events.
Free to attend. No booking required, just drop in.
Please check back to this page as we’ll be announcing more events soon!
- Bingham Methodist Church, Thursday 24 November from 9.30am
- Castle House, Newark Wednesday 30 November from 1pm
- Eastwood Office, Wellington Place, Eastwood Wednesday 7 December - please note you need to book a slot for this event please call 01773 768363
The Nottinghamshire Household Support Fund (HSF) Phase 3
- The Government has extended the Household Support Fund (HSF) to March 2023. For this phase, a one-off Winter Support payment worth on average around £100 for each eligible household to use towards energy and food bills. Find out more.
Warm Home Discount Scheme
- The Government Warm Home Discount Scheme offers money off your electricity bill till March 2023. Find out more.
Severn Trent Water Big Difference Scheme
- Severn Trent's Water Big Difference Scheme helps reduce the amount you pay for your bill. The scheme is based on household income eligibility criteria.
British Gas Energy Trust
- British Gas have hardship funds for existing and non-customers to help with gas and electric debt. Find out more and who can apply.
- You can self-refer for an energy check through Nottingham Energy Partnership, just fill out the Healthy Housing Service self-referral form online. Or you can access advice through National Energy Action's Warm and Safe Homes advice service.
- There is a range of support available to help with childcare costs, subject to eligibility. Find out more and apply.
- You may be entitled to benefits and financial support, check your eligibility.
Worried about money?
- Access free and impartial advice for managing your money in uncertain times via Money Helper. This scheme is backed by the government.
Find a local food bank in your area via NottsHelpYourself
- Get help to buy food and milk through the Health Start scheme, find out more and check if you’re eligible.
Free school meals
The Holiday Activities and Food programme (HAF)
- HAF supports children that receive benefits-related free school meals during school holidays providing activities and food. Find out more about HAF.
If you need urgent mental health support, call the Nottinghamshire Mental Health Crisis Line on 0808 196 3779 (24/7).
There are a range of mental wellbeing services and support available locally in Nottinghamshire for both adults and children.
See if you’re eligible for a ‘top up’ voucher to improve broadband connectivity in your home. Find out about the Nottinghamshire Gigabit Broadband Voucher scheme.
Find out about community hubs, warm spaces and more in your local area:
- Ashfield District Council Cost of living support - Ashfield District Council
- Bassetlaw District Council Cost of living | Bassetlaw District Council
- Broxtowe Borough Council Cost of living : Broxtowe Borough Council
- Gedling Borough Council Cost of living support - Gedling Borough Council
- Mansfield District Council Cost of Living – Mansfield District Council
- Newark and Sherwood District Council Here to help | Newark & Sherwood District Council (newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk)
- Rushcliffe Borough Council Cost of living - Rushcliffe Borough Council
Help for Community groups
Local Community Fund
- Information about funding for voluntary and community groups across Nottinghamshire. Find out more and apply.
Councillors’ divisional fund
- Every County Councillor has £5,000 to spend on projects, people and organisations in their local area. Find out more and how to apply.
Further support for community groups
- Access advice on finding funding pots, DBS checks, development and more through our support for community groups.
Receive our community support email bulletins
- Get regular email updates about information on grants and support for local community and voluntary organisations.