Many community transport schemes rely on volunteer drivers who give up some of their time to help other people. Without the support of these dedicated volunteers it would not be possible to deliver these vital transport links throughout the county.
If you have some spare time and are interested in volunteering, view the current opportunities available below and contact the organiser of the scheme nearest to you.
Current volunteering opportunities
Bassetlaw Community Car Scheme are looking for volunteer drivers for:
- their community car scheme, using your own vehicle, transporting people who are unable to make their journey by public transport
- their Car Scheme Plus service using a wheelchair accessible Peugeot Expert Tepee MPV
- their community minibus scheme driving for local community groups and clubs.
If using your own vehicle you would be paid 45p for every mile that you drive on behalf of the scheme. Full training (including MIDAS training) will be given to all volunteer drivers.
For more information contact Bassetlaw Action Centre:
- telephone: 01777 709650 - Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
East Leake Community Care are looking for volunteer drivers for their social car scheme. You would be driving people of any age who have mobility difficulties and require transport for a variety of purposes.
You will be paid 45p for every mile that you drive on behalf of the scheme. Any amount of time you can spare would be appreciated.
Please contact Mrs Doris Elcock on telephone: 01509 852 778 for more information.
Ravenshead Community Transport (RCT) are looking for volunteer drivers, who will receive full training to drive their executive minibuses. They operate regular services for a variety of local community residents and you can give as much (or as little) time to driving as you want.
Call Karen Parsons on 01623 490888 Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 10.30am or leave a message.
Mansfield and Ashfield
Our Centre - Mansfield and Ashfield Car Scheme are looking for volunteer drivers who have access to a car and can spare a few hours each week. Expenses of 45p per mile are given to cover fuel costs. Long term client contracts are available with monthly payment directly to you.
For more information
- telephone: 01623 753192 - Monday to Thursday 8am to 4.30pm and Friday 8am to 3pm
- email: email@example.com.
Age Concern Newark's Medical Appointments Transport Service takes people over 50 with significant walking problems, to health-related appointments in Newark and Balderton. Potential volunteers will need to agree to a basic CRB check and have safe, properly-insured vehicles.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Age Concern on 01636 701888.
Door2Door is looking to recruit volunteer drivers with their own car to transport people over the age of 60 who find it difficult to access public transport and have no other means of travel.
For more information:
- telephone: 01636 611 220
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Transport for Town and County (CT4TC) are looking for people who would like to:
- train to drive mini-buses or coaches to transport older and disabled people in the community and groups of all ages for outings
- be a volunteer driver for their car scheme, using your own car to transport people to health and social appointments
- be a shopping assistant to help people access shops in their local town.
Expenses of 45p per mile are given to cover fuel costs.
For further details please:
- telephone: 01773 746 652
- email: email@example.com.
Following recent work by the Community Transport Association, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) has published a list of insurance companies showing how they treat volunteers driving their own car for the benefit of the community.
Many of the companies on the list no longer charge a fee or require any letter to be sent to inform them of the fact that a policy holder will be starting to volunteer.
Set up your own scheme
For advice on setting up and running a community transport scheme in your area contact the Community Transport Association or contact us:
- telephone: 0300 500 80 80
- minicom: 01623 434 993.