East Midlands Freeport
Nottinghamshire County Council is part of a group of public and private sector partners driving plans for the East Midlands Freeport, to deliver jobs, investment, and green technology.
- The freeport could create over 61,000 jobs and boost our region's economy by some £8.9 billion over the next three decades.
- The freeport will be based at three sites - East Midlands Airport and Gateway Industrial Cluster (EMAGIC), East Midlands Intermodal Park (EMIP) and Ratcliffe-on-Soar.
- The freeport will create sustainable jobs in areas including advanced manufacturing, logistics, and clean energy.
- The freeport will create a new network of public and private sector partners focussed on on advancing skills to boost access to employment, as well as driving leading-edge innovation in areas like low carbon technology.
- When operational, the East Midlands Freeport will be the best-connected freeport in the UK, with East Midlands Airport offering rapid access to global markets, an inland location at the heart of the country, and excellent road and rail connections.
- 1 million people will be within a half hour drive of the Freeport with 91% of the UK within a 4-hour drive.
- The planned freeport sites will cover 533 hectares – that’s more than 400 times larger than Trafalgar Square.